Google Earth, Hololens, and Disney VR pioneer Avi Bar-Zeev joins Azad to share his perspective of the 3D/VR industry over the last few decades and make predictions of the near future.
Topics discussed & showlinks:
- working on early Disney's Aladdin’s Magic Carpet Ride VR experience (Road To VR article),
- solving early 3D graphics and texture size issues
- Location Based Entertainment business models not working
- early CRT VR monitors
- creating Google Earth (formerly Keyhole) and the KML format
- Al Gore's Digital Earth
- Avi Interview in Cartographica
- despite setbacks, still being bullish about AR
- Avi's article on Vice - The Eyes Are the Prize: Eye-Tracking Technology Is Advertising's Holy Grail
- Communication in AR being THE selling point
- Eye-tracking, security, and biometric data
- A framework to think about data privacy for the average user
- Which business models prioritize data exploitations and which dont?
- The dangers of AR/VR data being used in totalitarian regimes for surveillance
- Is using public data for research an ethical issue?
recorded in July 2019
Guests: Avi Bar-Zeev
Podcast: Research VR Podcast
ResearchVR Community Links:
Discord Community Channel: https://discord.gg/rrgnxEk
Youtube: ResearchVR Podcast
Patreon: Patreon Page